Chatter 2 is Here. Already.
Dell has deployed Salesforce Chatter across its sales and marketing departments
Salesforce Chatter deployed by 20,000+ companies in only three months of general availability
Chatter 2, the next generation of social collaboration technology delivers breakthrough innovations for productivity
SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 22, 2010: Salesforce.com [NYSE: CRM], the enterprise cloud computing (http://www.salesforce.com/cloudcomputing/) company, today announced Chatter 2, the company’s next generation of enterprise social collaboration, and that Dell has deployed Chatter to employees in its sales and marketing departments. Leveraging the social features popularized by Facebook, Google and Twitter, like profiles, status updates and real-time feeds, Chatter 2 empowers enterprises with a new level of productivity. With Chatter, enterprises can collaborate around more than just documents, and employees can also follow people, business processes and application data.
Comments on the News
● “The momentum behind Salesforce Chatter is astounding,” said Marc Benioff, chairman and CEO, salesforce.com. “The excitement we see from the industry and our customers is proof that the feed is the new desktop.”
● “Our sales and marketing programs must evolve quickly to meet customer and market demand,” said John Miles, vice president of business information organization, Dell. “With Chatter, we’re now able to quickly and easily collaborate around documents and information like sales opportunities and marketing campaign leads. Salesforce Chatter helps us to be more responsive to customer needs and opportunities.”
● “Salesforce.com has shattered our expectations with its breakthrough Chatter collaboration technology,” said Gary Roth, chief operating officer and chief financial officer, United Capital Financial Advisers. “With Chatter 2, we can realize even more success with our deployment.”
Salesforce Chatter: Customer Momentum with Sales and Marketing Employees at Dell
After seeing tremendous success with its initial Salesforce Chatter deployment, Dell has successfully deployed Chatter to all of its sales and marketing employees around the world pursuant to an enterprise agreement announced by the two companies in 2008. The technology industry pioneer uses this collaboration technology so that employees can get immediate insight into the company’s upcoming programs, projects, people, customers, cases and documents.
Since launching Chatter into general availability three months ago, more than 20,000 companies including Hitachi, Misys, Reed Exhibitions and Softbank have deployed Salesforce Chatter. The breakthrough technology has allowed salesforce.com to expand beyond CRM, and bring a new wave of collaboration to employees across the enterprise.
Salesforce Chatter 2: Breakthrough Innovations for Productivity
Salesforce.com re-architected all of its apps to use the social, mobile and real-time capabilities of Chatter. Now with Chatter 2, customers can realize tremendous success and new levels of productivity with innovations, including:
● Chatter Filters: Chatter Filters enables employees to quickly find and focus on only the relevant posts they need at any given time by filtering their Chatter Feed by the groups, people and records they follow.
● Chatter Topics: With Chatter Topics, employees can associate their updates with other posts and comments on the same topic by using a hashtag (#). Combined with Chatter Search, employees can find updates and comments that match any Chatter topic.
● Chatter Recommendations: With Chatter Recommendations, employees receive smart, automatic suggestions of colleagues to follow and groups to join. Chatter recommends people based on criteria such as connections in common, number of followers, and management hierarchy. Similarly, public groups are recommended based on their popularity and relevance to that employee.
● Chatter Desktop: Powered by Adobe® AIR®, Chatter Desktop allows employees to post updates, comments, files and links without opening a web browser, and displays pop-up alerts to instantly notify employees of important updates. Chatter Desktop was built with Adobe® Flash® Builder™ for Force.com.
● Chatter Analytics: With Chatter Analytics, admins can create reports and dashboards on Chatter usage in their company across users as well as their followers, feeds, comments, groups, members, and group comments. This intelligence feature gives visibility into the major contributors and how people are using Chatter, with the ability to segment usage and determine best practices.
● Chatter Files: Employees can store, update, and share documents, presentations, photos and media files in one place. With Chatter Files, people can now follow files shared by colleagues and receive a Chatter update once a new version is posted so they always have the current version.
● Dashboard Chatter: Dashboard Chatter empowers employees with the ability to follow and get dashboard updates in their real-time feeds. They can stay tuned to discussions around dashboard data such as sales funnels and close rates, and collaborate with colleagues to get collective insight from the community to speed up and improve decision making.
● Report Chatter: With Report Chatter, employees can follow reports that are important to them and get updates within their feed and allowing them to be active members of the conversations around critical issues.
● Activity Chatter: Employees can now track the progress of important tasks and get notifications on calendar and meeting updates. Activity Chatter allows employees to collaborate with colleagues on customer calls and meeting agendas within the task or event record, reducing e-mails and phone calls.
● Chatter Central: Chatter Central offers employees new to Chatter with a guided checklist of how to get started so they can make the most of their experience.
● Chatter Search: Chatter Search allows employees to search across every Chatter feed, file, profile, update and comment in real-time to get a comprehensive view on a given keyword or customer.
● Chatter E-mail Manager: With Chatter E-mail Manager, employees can configure their email notification settings and choose the frequency and scope of emails sent by Chatter.
● Chatter E-mail Digest: Employees can now receive a daily or weekly Chatter email digest of the latest Chatter posts from their feed or group feeds.
Pricing and Availability
● Salesforce Chatter is now generally available and included at no additional charge with all paying user subscriptions of Salesforce CRM and Force.com.
● Chatter 2 will be available for no additional charge for Salesforce CRM and Force.com subscribers.
● Chatter 2 features will be available with the Winter ‘11 release which is currently scheduled to be generally available October, 2010.
● Customers who purchase salesforce.com technologies should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available.
● For salesforce.com customers, visit http://www.salesforce.com/chatter/getstarted for guides, FAQs and tutorials on how to turn on Chatter and use within the organization
● For prospective customers, get your free trial of Salesforce today at www.salesforce.com
● Follow @salesforce on Twitter and join the conversation with #Chatter
● To learn more about Cloud 2, view the video: www.salesforce.com/video/events.jsp?t=Cloud_2_Launch_Part_1__Marc_Benioffs_Industry_Vision&v=xYs67Xgoq78
“Safe harbor” statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: This press release contains forward-looking statements about the company’s planned release of Chatter 2. The achievement or success of the matters covered by such forward-looking statements involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If any such risks or uncertainties materialize or if any of the assumptions prove incorrect, the company’s results could differ materially from the results expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements we make.
The risks and uncertainties referred to above include - but are not limited to - risks associated with unexpected delays in the release of Chatter 2 due to software or infrastructure issues.
Further information on these and other factors that could affect the company’s financial results is included in the reports on Forms 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K and in other filings we make with the Securities and Exchange Commission from time to time, including the company’s Form 10-Q filed for the quarter ended July 31, 2010 and our Form 10-K filed for the fiscal year ended January 31, 2010. These documents are available on the SEC Filings section of the Investor Information section of the company’s website at www.salesforce.com/investor.
Salesforce.com, inc. assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements, except as required by law.
Salesforce.com is the world’s largest provider of customer relationship management (CRM) software. For more information about salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM), visit: www.salesforce.com.
Any unreleased services or features referenced in this or other press releases or public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase salesforce.com applications should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available. Salesforce.com has headquarters in San Francisco, with offices in Europe and Asia, and trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol “CRM.” For more information please visit http://salesforce.com, or call 1-800-NO-SOFTWARE.