Customize your interface
In Salesforce, fields are how you track specific information, like a contact's name. A custom field is one you create specifically for your company.
Each business has unique needs. If you want to track something specific about your customers and contacts, you can add a custom field. For example, you can create a custom field called Customer Rating.
- Click on your name in the upper right-corner of the Salesforce window, then click on Setup
- In the App Setup section, click on Customize | Contacts | Fields
- Scroll down to the Contact Custom Fields and Relationships section and click on New
- Select the Field Type that is best suited to what you want to do and click Next. For a customer rating, you might choose a Picklist
- Enter the required details for your field. and click Next
- Leave the box checked to add this field to the page layout and click Save
- You're done! Find one of the contacts you've added and see your new field