Salesforce Announces Heroku Elements—the Marketplace for the Builders of the App Economy
Now developers have instant access to Heroku’s rich ecosystem of powerful, pre-integrated app components, services and tools
Brown-Forman and Product Hunt use Heroku Elements to quickly build customized, engaging customer-facing apps
SAN FRANCISCO—April 16, 2015—Salesforce (NYSE: CRM), the Customer Success Platform and world’s #1 CRM company, today announced Heroku Elements, a marketplace of innovative, pre-integrated app components, services, and tools that empower developers to build engaging customer-facing applications.
Today, developers are not just writing custom code to create apps. They are composing apps out of pre-built elements, such as messaging services, payment systems, app monitors and data stores. However, researching and finding the specific elements developers need to build apps is a burdensome task. Heroku Elements solves this problem with a new marketplace that enables developers to find, evaluate, and quickly utilize modern services, components and tools.
Introducing Heroku Elements: The Marketplace for the Builders of the App Economy
Heroku Elements includes three new categories of app components, some built by Heroku, but the vast majority of which are built and maintained by Heroku’s robust ecosystem of more than 1,500 partners and open source developers. Each Element on the marketplace can easily be found by use case or function, and, to help developers decide which element is right for their needs, includes key information around number of installs, recency of updates, region data and more.
● Add-ons are tools and services pre-integrated into Heroku that are tailored for developing, extending, and operating apps. In the Heroku Elements marketplace, developers can search and preview add-on functionality to select which fits best with their app’s specific needs.
● Heroku Buttons are third-party components, libraries, and pattern apps that allow users to deploy with a single click. The Heroku Elements marketplace lets developers find which Heroku Buttons are new and trending, giving users the perfect recipe to start building apps quickly.
● Buildpacks allow users to easily customize the build process in their preferred framework, language, and community. Now, users can search the Heroku Elements marketplace to discover new Buildpacks from Heroku or choose from the hundreds built and maintained by its community.
Heroku Elements enables developers to quickly search a broad ecosystem of trusted tools, components and services and discover the elements needed to develop better apps faster. Heroku Elements also provides developers with the unrivaled user experience, support, productivity, and reliability of Heroku’s enterprise platform to deliver success at any scale.
Comments on the News:
● “Heroku Elements represents some of the most interesting and innovative advancements happening across the developer ecosystem,” said Adam Gross, VP of Product at Heroku. “Companies of all sizes can now easily access the creativity and functionality of application components, commercial services and open source tools - all in one place, and with a single click."
● “At Brown-Forman, we’re using promotional websites built on Heroku to drive higher levels of customer engagement around brands like Southern Comfort and Jack Daniel's,” said Scott Riehl, Interactive Technology Manager, Brown-Forman. “The rich selection of Heroku Add-ons available from Heroku Elements enable our developers to focus on building sites that deliver compelling and authentic brand experiences.”
● “New Relic and Heroku have been on a journey to help developers build modern apps in the cloud,” said John Gray, SVP Business Development at New Relic. “Heroku Elements represents the state of the art when it comes to giving developers the ability to discover Add-on services like New Relic to leverage the power of software analytics and more.”
● "Heroku Elements makes it easy for us to discover and add new services to our app as we introduce new functionality," said Ryan Hoover, Founder, Product Hunt.
● “There is a quiet revolution underway in software development: The nature of the work is shifting from developing and deploying large complex applications to connecting new and existing services in unique and value-added ways,” wrote Forrester Research Analysts Michael Facemire and Kurt Bittner. “New solutions to help developers find the right services they need and keep track of what they used to manage dependencies are needed to manage the potential complexity developers will unwittingly create.” (1)
Pricing and availability:
● Heroku Elements is publicly available at https://elements.heroku.com. Heroku Buttons and Buildpacks are free resources, pricing for Add-ons is determined by the provider.
● Learn more about Heroku Elements at https://elements.heroku.com
Connect with Salesforce
● Follow @Heroku and @Salesforce on Twitter
● Like Heroku and Salesforce on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Heroku & www.facebook.com/salesforce
Heroku, a Salesforce company and industry pioneer in platform as a service, enables developers to build and run applications entirely in the cloud, without the need to purchase or maintain any servers or software. Since 2007, over four million apps have been created on Heroku. With support for the most popular languages, an enterprise-class database service, and an add-ons ecosystem featuring over 150 cloud application services, Heroku provides companies from startups to Fortune 500 enterprises with a faster and more effective way to create, deploy and manage apps.
Salesforce, the Customer Success Platform and world's #1 CRM company, empowers companies to connect with their customers in a whole new way. For more information about Salesforce (NYSE: CRM), visit: www.salesforce.com.
Salesforce, Salesforce1 and others are among the trademarks of salesforce.com, inc. Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
© 2015 salesforce.com. All rights reserved.
(1) “From Application Design to Application Composition,” Kurt Bittner and Michael Facemire, Forrester Research, Inc. February 19, 2015
Salesforce.com is the world’s largest provider of customer relationship management (CRM) software. For more information about salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM), visit: www.salesforce.com.
Any unreleased services or features referenced in this or other press releases or public statements are not currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase salesforce.com applications should make their purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available. Salesforce.com has headquarters in San Francisco, with offices in Europe and Asia, and trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol “CRM.” For more information please visit http://salesforce.com/uk/, or call 0800 0921223 .