One of the best parts of my job is getting to share cool new stuff with customers, and between our three awesome releases per year, our ever-expanding suite of killer products, and innovation from our partner ecosystem, I never run out of things to share. When it comes to sharing cool stuff, I love talking with customers about the AppExchange, because it delivers both extraordinary variety (2,600+ apps) and value (more than 44% are free).
This is part four of a five-part blog series where we’re highlighting Apps for Admins. In this series, we’re digging into some of the key challenges admins face and the AppExchange apps, free and paid, that have made some of my customers more successful.
“Can I get that sent to me in an email?” This is a question every Salesforce Administrator hears regularly, and it speaks to the need to get notifications and access data on the go. While a single timely email update can be helpful, digging through an inbox full of emails doesn’t boost a field sales rep’s productivity. What they really need is a great mobile experience.
Admins know that the Salesforce1 Platform allows access to core customer data simply by downloading the Salesforce1 Mobile App and logging in. But super savvy admins also know that careful planning and a little configuration magic go a long way toward boosting adoption.
When planning out a Salesforce1 mobile strategy for your company, consider the following:
○ Executives and other company leaders
○ Employees in the field or who travel frequently
○ Employees with irregular schedules or who need access at a moment’s notice (e.g., IT help desk)
○ Employees who are more tech-savvy and likely to adopt what’s new
○ Creating and editing records
○ Logging calls, meetings, and capturing notes
○ Accessing reports and dashboards
○ Collaborating with colleagues
○ Does your company have a mobile device policy?
○ Will you need to upgrade an existing legacy mobile application? (e.g., Salesforce Classic)
○ Run a pilot with a group of your best candidates for mobile
○ Conduct training and provide demonstrations for users
○ Following your pilot, consider conducting an official launch at an annual company meeting or kickoff to generate buzz and excitement
○ Keep page layouts short and sweet
○ Use default values for fields wherever possible
○ Use publisher actions to simplify routine tasks, like creating or editing a record
○ Performance is key
When you’re designing that great mobile experience to solve for your key use cases, don’t forget that an app can also help you deliver the magic. Power your field sales and service organizations, and give your executive team and company leaders insights from any device, anywhere, with a little help from the AppExchange. Check out the apps below to learn about popular mobile themes, including geolocation, electronic signature, and note taking.
In addition, there are some enhancements for geolocation in the Spring ’15 release. Records with standard address will display a Google Maps image, and standard geolocation fields will now be available for use in Apex, Visual Workflow, Workflow, and more. See the Spring ’15 release notes for complete details.
If you’re looking for a bit of everything, look no further than the S1 Ignition Pack. This is a free pack of six applications to power micro-moments for salespeople in the field. Included are apps for account news, geolocation, cliff notes, and content deliveries, all optimized for the mobile experience. Some of the apps require Heroku, see AppExchange listing for full details.
The SalesforceA app allows admins to handle basic functions while on the go. Enhance that functionality with the Clone This User app. This free app allows admins to look up a user, clone it, enter the new user’s name and email, and presto! Permission sets, public groups, and user features are copied over and a new Salesforce user is created, all from the Salesforce1 Mobile App. Now that’s administration efficiency on the go.
Employees, managers, executives, and your customers all need to collaborate, access information, and get assistance. Deploy powerful Salesforce1 mobile-ready apps from the AppExchange and power up your company’s mobile strategy.
Stay tuned for the final installment in our series as we continue with Apps for Admins. Up next, Learning!