We all have the ability to find peace within ourselves and spread joy to others, but it’s easy for those good intentions to get lost in the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Well, what better time to focus on wellness than the New Year?
Wellness is one of our core company values at Salesforce. We believe that our people do their best work when they are happy and healthy, and that in order to take care of our customers we must first take care of ourselves. That’s why we make it a priority to give employees access to resources like wellness reimbursement, meditation classes … and inspiring speakers.
Enter Jack Kornfield, trained Buddhist monk, bestselling author and world famous mindfulness teacher. Jack inspired Dreamforce 2015 attendees with his Mindfulness Day keynote, and recently joined us here at Salesforce for a special encore presentation on simple ways we can make wellness a priority for ourselves and others anytime, anywhere.
Check out several inspirational quotes Jack included in his presentation, plus our take-away lessons for how we can all bring a little more peace and joy into our lives.
1. “You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.” - Anonymous
Life is not always smooth sailing. The reality is that waves roll in and inevitably interrupt everything. We can’t control the commotion, but we can control the way we react to it. Without mindfulness, we will rock all over the place like a boat without a rudder. But once we are able to calm ourselves with breath, we can notice what is around us – worries, plans, emotion, conflict – and react with intention.
2. “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.” - Albert Einstein
Although multi-tasking has its place in today’s world, we should experiment with realistic ways to be more present. We need to give ourselves permission to put our devices down and focus on the moment in front of us. We can all find find ways to balance being true to ourselves while also being true to the work that we do with others.
3. “If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
The work that we do may be given or assigned to us, but it’s not the work itself that matters – it’s the spirit with which we do it. The care, effort, and passion we put into our labor will make the work more profoundly meaningful to us. This will lead us on the path to a more joyful and fulfilled life.
4. “If we deny our happiness and resist our satisfaction, we lessen the importance of [others’] deprivation. We must risk delight.” - Jack Gilbert
It can be hard to remain joyful when there is so much suffering in the world. Yet we must remember that our depression, fear, and anxiety don’t contribute to the well-being of those who are suffering. When you carry joy, compassion, and a tender heart with you, you can spread hope and happiness wherever you go.
5. “Don’t feel guilty [about the state of the world]. If you start to care for the environment because you feel guilt, your care for it will be unsustainable. If you’re going to save it, save it because you love it.” - Gary Snyder
The only force big enough to spark real positive change in the world is the force of the human heart. Change will not be caused by aggression or fear. By harnessing our inner love and joy, we can truly make a difference in the world.
6. “You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep spring from coming.” - Pablo Neruda
There is a force around us all that moves us forward and helps us survive. The future is inevitable – no one knows what’s going to happen, and we have no way of knowing. What we can do is be present, responsive, and receptive in our lives and trust that life will move us in a positive direction.
Feeling inspired? The Salesforce Ohana is growing, and we’re looking for passionate people to join our family. Learn more and find opportunities at salesforce.com/careers