Email marketing remains core to most marketing strategies. A cohesive blend of copy and design - along with a clear picture of your ideal audience - will enable you to build an email process that establishes a connection with subscribers, collects data, and generates results. But which components of your email campaign matter most? And how do you leverage those elements to maximize effectiveness?
5 Keys to Email Success
Your email must feature 5 critical elements:
- Subject Line - The first words your audience sees when they open their inbox are those that comprise the subject line. You need to hook the reader with a phrase that compels them to open the email and find out more. At the same time, you must keep the subject line concise. The perfect email subject line is a unique mixture of creativity and information that grabs the reader and incites them to read more.
- Tight Copy - Members of your audience likely receive hundreds of emails a day. The copy in your email must quickly communicate the message you want to impart and intrigue them enough to react. Email marketing, in most cases, is not the place to spin long-winded stories or share layered messages. It's a place to hit hard and fast with the idea you're communicating. Your copy should drive an almost subconscious reaction and response.
- Appealing Visuals - Working hand in hand with the copy is the need to draw readers in with striking email design You need to grab their attention with compelling visuals that communicate the key messages of your email while still generating a call to action. Email design requires active use of white space, an awareness of what visual cues impact readers, and an understanding of how color theory can make a difference in causing a reaction.
- Personalized Messages - Research shows that personalized email subject lines are even more likely to be opened than standard subject lines. But that's just the start. Personalizing email leads to greater engagement, higher click-through rates, and improved insight into customer segmentation. Your customers want to feel that you're trying to establish a long-term relationship. Personalization helps in reaching that goal.
- Mobile Optimization - Every email you send out needs to be optimized for mobile responsiveness. Data shows that people in growing numbers are accessing their email through their mobile devices. And your customers are spending more time on their phones and tablets, so they often go back to review old emails after initially opening the message. As your customers continue this trend toward mobile responsiveness, it is paramount that all email sent out as part of a marketing campaign be optimized to reach the greatest audience.
Even with the growth of social media channels, email is still the most successful online tool for reaching potential customers. By successfully implementing the 5 elements listed above, you increase the likelihood of running a successful campaign.
Interested in Learning More?
Learn more about creating highly personalized email campaigns with industry-leading scalability and ease. Download 8 Stories of Email Success.