MuleSoft has been part of the Salesforce family since 2018. We help companies achieve digital transformation by easily connecting all their business systems, including applications, data, devices, and more. If you’re wondering what MuleSoft is, know this: we focus entirely on systems integration of experiences, products, and services to help IT and business users quickly connect data from any system. We’re the #1 integration and application programming interfaces (API) platform.
What is MuleSoft technology?
Customers expect connected experiences across channels, platforms, teams, and departments. They don’t want to see the seams where your systems and departments meet. MuleSoft brings everything together to help organizations change and innovate faster. How? We make it easy to connect any application, data, and device with APIs. And what are APIs? Think of them as messengers that take requests and tell a system what a user wants it to do, then returns a response back to that user.
MuleSoft unifies data to deliver a single view of the customer, automates business processes, and builds connected experiences. By using a modern API-led approach, each integration becomes a reusable building block. Reusable processes enable organizations to accelerate IT delivery, increase organizational agility, and deliver innovation at scale.
The results speak for themselves. In a 2019 Forrester Total Economic Impact study, they found that MuleSoft customers got back $5.45 for every $1 spent with MuleSoft – and realized $7.8 million in benefits within just three years. In addition, MuleSoft customers freed up 90% of their developer’s time from maintaining APIs and integrations. And organizations using MuleSoft were able to take on 4X the projects in 36 months.
Case study: How MuleSoft boosts business growth
Let’s look at an example of MuleSoft integration in action. One of the world’s largest consumer goods providers wanted to find more efficient solutions to deploy new products and services. They had three goals:
- Roll out a new ecommerce initiative quickly.
- Engage directly with customers through both digital and in-store channels.
- Deliver a better customer experience.
The company needed to connect multiple tools to its ecommerce platform, including Salesforce Commerce Cloud, SAP, and NetSuite. They faced a two-way choice. Using traditional integration methods like a custom code path, they would need to:
- Spend IT time, effort, and resources to build three separate, secure integrations.
- Hire technical resources who understand the thousands of fields in their enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, their new ecommerce platform, and have the skills to build each integration.
- Create additional integrations if they decide to make changes.
Instead, the company chose MuleSoft to connect these tools, saving them time, money, and team resources across the board. Using MuleSoft’s API-led approach, the company built a “Customer API” to take only the information needed from the relevant systems, combine it, and expose it in a simple and accessible format. How did this benefit the consumer goods provider?:
- Speed to market. Deployment for new initiatives is 3-4X faster than a custom code path. Design, build, and implementation dropped from months to days.
- Anyone with the right credentials has access to the right information. Specialized systems knowledge isn’t necessary to get the data out.
- Source and destination systems are easily swapped in and out. For example, if the company decides to switch ERPs, they only need to update the API rather than every integration point.
- Security is centrally controlled at the user level.
- The Customer API is reusable. That means it’s available for others to use again in systems other than Salesforce. This saves time and resources later instead of building more integrations.
This company now delivers great customer experiences thanks to a 360-degree view of the customer created through an API integration.
How to use Salesforce and MuleSoft together
MuleSoft connects any system, application, or data source. When used together, MuleSoft, the #1 integration platform, and Salesforce, the #1 CRM, help organizations accelerate digital transformation.
Whether you’re using the full suite of Customer 360 or individual Salesforce tools, MuleSoft and Salesforce together unlock data across systems, develop scalable integration frameworks, and create differentiated, connected experiences fast. Across integration patterns, Salesforce products, and third-party systems, the integration possibilities are endless. Use Salesforce and MuleSoft together to solve business problems like:
- Developing integrated applications with Lightning Platform and Heroku.
- Creating a single customer view in Sales Cloud and Service Cloud by integrating siloed third-party systems.
- Connecting Customer 360 with legacy sources to synchronize order, invoice, and product information.
Why do businesses need MuleSoft API integration with Salesforce?
Over the last 30 years, enterprise technology has exploded. The average enterprise now has 900 applications – and only 29% of those are connected to each other. This creates a burden on IT teams tasked to implement, maintain, and govern an increasing number of applications and systems.
Digital transformation is no longer an option, but a necessity. Technology has shifted customer expectations; they now want fast, digital, on-demand experiences – or they will take their business elsewhere.
The more digital transformation is needed, the wider the delivery gap gets. Many organizations struggle to solve this huge challenge. MuleSoft and Salesforce together are here to help.