New Salesforce1 Lightning, the next generation of the Salesforce1 Platform, empowers anyone to quickly build the innovative mobile apps that every company needs
Leading companies like Brown-Forman, Philips and Seagate are building apps faster on the Salesforce Customer Success Platform to help every customer, partner and employee move at the speed of business
SAN FRANCISCO—DREAMFORCE 2014—Oct. 14, 2014—Salesforce (NYSE: CRM), the Customer Success Platform and world's #1 CRM, today launched Salesforce1 Lightning, the fastest way to build mobile apps. Salesforce1 Lightning, the next generation of the Salesforce1 Platform, empowers anyone to quickly build the innovative mobile apps that every company needs. With Salesforce1 Lightning, developers and business users can now create purpose-built apps for devices with screens of every shape and size—desktops, laptops, tablets, phablets, smartphones and wearables. In addition, the new Lightning user interface delivers a consistent, modern user experience across every Salesforce app and is optimized for any device. Leading companies like Brown-Forman, Philips and Seagate are building apps faster on the Salesforce Customer Success Platform to help every user move at the speed of business.
Comments on the News
● “It shouldn’t be harder to build an app than it is to run a business,” said Mike Rosenbaum, GM and EVP, Salesforce1 Platform, Salesforce. “With Salesforce1 Lightning, we’ve made technology barriers disappear so anyone can create the apps they need. I can’t wait to see what happens when Lightning gets into the hands of developers and business users.”
● “Salesforce finds itself at the center of one of the most disruptive transformations in the IT world in 35 years,” said Robert Mahowald, program vice president, SaaS & Cloud Software, IDC. “Many Salesforce customers report that they are reducing development cycles and delivery times to build and deploy new applications, allowing them to get to market faster with new products and new applications.”
● “The role of IT has changed dramatically—we can't bury our heads in the back office, we have to look to the future in different ways,” said Toby Lester, VP Technology, Architecture and Innovation, Brown-Forman. “With Salesforce1 Lightning, we can build apps quickly for any business need.”
● “As we are enabling healthcare providers to truly engage their patients around the clock, we need to iterate our solutions rapidly,” said Jeroen Tas, CEO, Healthcare Informatics Solutions and Services, Philips. “With Salesforce1 Lightning we can make a step change in time to value.”
● “Our customers expect to have their app needs met before they know they have a need,” said Sandra Kurtzig, Chairman and CEO, Kenandy, Inc. “With Salesforce1 Lightning, we can build apps and drive innovation to meet the ever changing business needs of our customers and exceed their expectations.”
The Mobile App Imperative
We are in the midst of a mobile app revolution, where there is an app for everything and every company. In 2013, 80 billion apps were downloaded and that number is expected to grow to 160 billion by 2017, according to eMarketer. To succeed in the age of mobile apps, companies need to do more than just launch an app. Great apps have to be easy to use and personalized to engage customers. They also have to be connected to real-time business data to automate key processes and deliver powerful insights.
The Salesforce1 Platform has all the capabilities needed to build great apps. With Force.com and Heroku, companies can build world-class employee and customer-facing apps faster than ever, and with fewer resources. And with Lightning, the Salesforce1 Platform is raising the bar. According to an IDC White Paper, sponsored by Salesforce, companies surveyed saw a 70 percent decrease in the time needed to bring applications to market.
Introducing Salesforce1 Lightning, the Fastest Way to Build Mobile Apps
Building on the tremendous success of last year’s launch of the Salesforce1 Platform, Lightning defines a new era of Platform as a Service (PaaS). With Lightning, Salesforce is delivering a new user interface for every Salesforce app, optimized for any device. And developers and business users can now quickly build apps with a custom user interface for every screen shape and size. Salesforce1 Lightning includes:
● Lightning Framework: Now customers, developers and Salesforce partners can take advantage of the new Lightning Framework to quickly build engaging apps across every device. The same framework Salesforce’s internal development team uses to build apps can now be used to build custom Lightning Components and create any user experience.
● Lightning Components: Customers can use components pre-built by Salesforce, such as feed, list, chart, search, navigation and many more, components built by partners, or build their own custom Lightning Components. Today, more than 25 partners, including Clerisoft, Plumsoft, Skuid and the TAS Group, are already building new Lightning Components, such as list views, keypads, case layouts, influencer charts and maps with real-time data, and making them available on the Salesforce AppExchange.
● Lightning App Builder: New Lightning App Builder empowers business users, not just developers and IT staff, to quickly build engaging apps with point-and-click ease for every screen shape and size, all from one canvas. Now anyone can quickly design apps with a custom user interface across desktops, laptops, tablets, phablets, smartphones, wearables and connected products.
● Lightning Process Builder: The Lightning Process Builder allows anyone to build enterprise workflows and visually automate complex processes in just a few clicks. From daily activities, such as sending follow up email reminders, submitting pricing approval requests and assigning tasks, to more complex processes, like employee onboarding, vendor procurement and order fulfillment, Lightning Process Builder helps companies go faster.
● Lightning Community Designer: The new Lightning Community Designer makes it simple and quick to build engaging communities that connect customers, partners and employees. Now anyone can easily spin up communities that deliver a consistent brand experience, all while keeping the user data tied to the business.
● Lightning Schema Builder: Developers no longer have to waste hours managing and reformatting data in massive tables. With Lightning Schema Builder, they can now quickly add new custom objects and fields, and map relationships, all without any code.
Salesforce1 Lightning UI: The New Salesforce UI Across Screens of Every Shape and Size
Salesforce is using the Lightning Framework to deliver the new Salesforce1 Lightning UI across every device. Leveraging the new Lightning UI, the Salesforce1 Mobile App now has a completely new user experience and a new Action Bar that allows users to complete tasks and take actions in just a few taps. With Salesforce1 Lightning, companies can customize their user experience to make it easier for everyone to run their business from any device.
Leading Global Companies Build Apps Faster with the Salesforce1 Platform, the World’s #1 PaaS
With the Salesforce1 Platform, the world’s #1 PaaS, companies can transform IT departments into centers of innovation and leapfrog the competition. With more than four million apps and 1.8 million developers, the Salesforce1 Platform is the trusted and proven platform for innovative companies around the world. Companies like Brown-Forman, Philips and Seagate are building apps faster on Salesforce1 Lightning to help every user move at the speed of business. The more than 4,100 customers who participated in a recent study reported 52 percent faster application deployment, 50 percent faster new application design, 52 percent faster application configuration and 42 percent decrease in IT cost using the Salesforce1 Platform .
Pricing and Availability
● Lightning Framework and Lightning Schema Builder are now generally available as part of the Salesforce1 Platform.
● Lightning Components is currently available in beta and expected to be generally available in the February 2015 release of the Salesforce1 Platform.
● Lightning App Builder is expected to be released in beta in the February 2015 release of the Salesforce1 Platform.
● Lightning Process Builder is expected to be generally available in the February 2015 release of the Salesforce1 Platform.
● Lightning Community Designer is currently available in beta and is expected to be generally available in February 2015.
● Salesforce1 Platform is now generally available and included with all user licenses of Salesforce CRM.
● Salesforce1 Mobile App is now generally available for download at Apple App Store and Google Play, and Salesforce1 Mobile App notifications are now generally available on all Samsung wearable devices running on Android OS.
● The Salesforce1 Mobile App Action Bar is expected to be generally available in November 2014.
● Register for Dreamforce 2014, the largest software event ever, including free keynote and expo pass: http://dreamforce.com
● Donate to the San Francisco/Marin Food Bank and other anti-hunger partners around the world here: http://www.dfgives.org
● Buy tickets for the Dreamforce Gala and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals Benefit Concert: http://www.theconcertforkids.com
● Learn more about Salesforce1 Lightning: www.salesforce.com/lightning
● Learn more about the Salesforce1 Mobile App: www.salesforce.com/mobile
● Download the Salesforce1 Mobile App from the Apple App Store and Google Play
● Like Salesforce on Facebook: http://facebook.com/salesforce
● Follow @Salesforce on Twitter: http://twitter.com/salesforce