Introducing the ChatGPT App for Slack
Today, Salesforce and OpenAI introduced the ChatGPT app for Slack. Built by OpenAI on the Slack platform, the app integrates ChatGPT’s powerful AI technology to deliver instant conversation summaries, research tools, and writing assistance directly in Slack to help millions of companies work more productively.
Why it’s important: The majority of senior IT leaders believe generative AI has the potential to help them better serve their customers, take advantage of data, and operate more efficiently. Eighty-one percent believe generative AI should combine public and private data sources.
- This new app combines knowledge found in Slack with the intelligence of ChatGPT, empowering customers with the information they need to move work forward faster.
Behind the tech: Currently in beta, the ChatGPT app for Slack provides a conversational interface powered by OpenAI’s large language models to get instant conversation summaries to stay informed, research tools to learn about any topic, and provide writing assistance to quickly draft messages.
With the ChatGPT app for Slack, customers can:
- Get up to speed faster on channels or threads: AI-powered conversation summaries help users quickly catch up on what’s happening.
- Instantly find answers on any project or topic: with AI-powered research tools, users can learn and build expertise faster right from Slack — whether they’re researching best practices, prospecting a new account, and more.
- Draft messages in seconds to communicate with customers and teams: with AI-powered writing assistance, users can spend less time crafting replies, status updates, and meeting notes — and more time putting the plan in action.
The app was built on top of Slack’s trusted platform, and will be available alongside more than 2,600 other integrations in the app ecosystem. This ensures customers have granular controls to safely manage third-party access of Slack data. Any data that the app has permission to access will not be used to train ChatGPT’s language model.
OpenAI has been a great Slack customer, and we’re even more excited for them to be an amazing Slack partner. The ChatGPT app for Slack deeply integrates the power of OpenAI’s cutting edge large language models into Slack’s conversational interface. There couldn’t be a more natural fit. This will give customers new superpowers by helping them tap the collective knowledge of their organization’s channel archives. We’re excited to partner with OpenAI to bring more generative AI powers directly into Slack to deliver productivity efficiencies for everyone.Noah Desai Weiss, Chief Product Officer, Slack
Fast facts: OpenAI chose Slack as its productivity platform to accelerate employee productivity, connect directly with customers, and support the hyper-growth of the business.
- As a longtime Slack customer, the team has sent more than 5 million messages and has more than 170 Slack Connect channels to connect directly with their customers. It also has more than 70 integrated apps, and relies on Huddles as part of their daily work to connect with each other and with customers.
- OpenAI leveraged the Slack platform’s range of SDKs, frameworks, and development tools to build the ChatGPT app for Slack, ensuring the app is secure and scalable from day one.
- The team has been piloting the app to engage with their customers directly across sales, service, and engineering teams.
- Slack Connect and Huddles are integral to OpenAI’s operating model for customer communications
“I love Slack Connect so much. We were very early adopters, and, alongside Huddles, it’s been the lifeblood of our customer communications. I think it’s the coolest workspace communication advancement ever. Injecting our own technology into this product has supercharged our ability to connect with and delight our customers. Life without it with our customers is unimaginable.” – Zack Kass, Head of GTM for OpenAI