Skip to content

Key Findings from Q2 2019

Ecommerce shoppers rounded out the first half of 2019 with another quarter of solid traffic growth and spending, bolstered in part by the ripple effect of Amazon Prime Day. In Q2, digital commerce revenue grew by 12% for the second quarter straight, with shoppers spending 2% more per visit. Overall traffic grew by 10%, mobile continued to carry this traffic growth with a strong 12% increase – as computer and tablet traffic continued to drop.

Digital shopping visits were more productive than ever during a Q2 time period. Year over year, conversion rate increased from 2.15% to 2.31% as more digital visits converted into orders. Computers and mobile devices led the rise at 15% and 14% annual growth, respectively.

Mobile continues to be the device of choice for digital buyers as mobile order share reached an unprecedented 48%. Engaging shoppers on their mobile devices in and out of the store should be high on retailers’ priority lists as they move into the holiday season.

read the blog

Digital Commerce Growth

The Year-Over-Year (YoY) change in revenue on a per-period basis, for instance Q2 2019 over Q2 2018.

Artificial Intelligence Insights

% visitors using Einstein: Digital buyers who engaged with an AI-powered product recommendation.

AOV Impact: Average order value increase by shoppers who acted on AI recommendations compared to shoppers who didn't.

Einstein Cartoon

Order Share and Traffic Share by Device

Order Share: The share of orders placed on each device, expressed as a percentage.

Traffic Share: The share of visits on each device, expressed as a percentage.

Due to rounding, values may not sum to 100%.

Global

All Verticals

COMPUTER
MOBILE
TABLET

Order and Traffic Growth by Device

Order Growth by Device: The change in number of orders placed from each device, expressed as a percentage.

Traffic Growth by Device: The change in number of visits from each device, expressed as a percentage.

Global

All Verticals

OVERALL
COMPUTER
MOBILE
TABLET

Shopper Spend

The per-visit average amount spent by a shopper.

Global

All Verticals

Buying Intent

Buying intent quantifies the level of interest an aggregate set of shoppers express during their shopping journey within the analysis period. There are two aggregate shopper groups measured: 1.) Buyers, i.e. shoppers that made a purchase(s), and 2.) Active Shoppers, i.e. shoppers that expressed a buying signal but did not place an order. Buying signals include orders, checkout starts, baskets created, and site searches.

Global

All Verticals

Active Shoppers
Buyers

Conversion Rate Insights

The share of overall visits in which an order has was placed.

Add to Cart Rate by Device

The percentage of digital visits where items were added to cart.

Global

All Verticals

COMPUTER
MOBILE
TABLET

Units Per Transaction Insights

The average number of items purchased per order.

Cart Abandonment Rate by Device

The percentage of carts created that were abandoned.

Global

All Verticals

COMPUTER
MOBILE
TABLET

Top 5 Cities for Digital Commerce

Rankings are based on the US cities with the greatest share of digital orders.

Average Order Value, Discount Rate and Free Shipping

Average Order Value: The per-order amount spent by the shopper.

Discount Rate: The share of an order amount that was reduced due to merchandise or order discounts. This value does not include product markdowns or reductions in shipping cost.

Free Shipping: The share of total orders that shipped at no cost to the shopper, expressed as a percentage.

Global

All Verticals

AOV ($)
discount rate
free shipping

Social Traffic

The share of visits where the referring source is a social media platform.

Global

All Verticals

OVERALL
COMPUTER
MOBILE
TABLET

Methodology

To qualify for inclusion in the analysis set, a digital commerce site must have transacted throughout the analysis period, in this case Q2 2017 through Q2 2019, and meet a monthly minimum visit threshold. Additional data hygiene factors are applied to ensure consistent metric calculation.

Data footnotes are noted inline throughout the report to provide additional clarity on analysis.

The Shopping Index is published quarterly.

Any forecasts noted within the Shopping Index are forward-looking projections based on current and prior values and as such should not be read as guarantees of future performance or results.

The Shopping Index is not indicative of the operational performance of the Salesforce Commerce Cloud or its reported financial metrics including GMV growth and comparable customer GMV growth.

Shopping Activity

Digital Commerce Sites

Countries Represented

Million Shoppers

Billion Visits

Questions? We’ll put you on the right path.

Ask about Salesforce products, pricing, implementation, or anything else. Our highly trained reps are standing by, ready to help.

CONTACT US read the blog
OR CALL 1-800-667-6389