Chapter 1: Optimise End-to-End Customer Journeys
Imagine having a unified view of all the interactions a customer had with your brand. With the Journey Builder tool offered by Salesforce Marketing Cloud this is exactly what you get.
The Journey Builder tool provides visibility into customer interactions across all your marketing channels – email, mobile, social media, advertisements, and more - so you can connect these interactions to offer a seamless customer experience.
At Journey Builder’s foundation is the customer journey, which is a series of steps your customer goes through during their interaction with your brand on any given channel. Interactions can include:
- clicking an ad
- reading an email
- making a purchase
- returning an item in the store
- talking to a service agent on the phone
- downloading a whitepaper
- redeeming a coupon
Journey Builder is a campaign planning tool that lets marketers design and automate campaigns. Marketers can move their campaign planning and customer journey maps from the whiteboard to the Journey Builder tool and model them on the tool’s drag-and-drop interface to listen, connect, and automate the customer journey across all touch points.
Journey Builder does its work using the content and audiences you create in Email Studio, Mobile Studio, Social Studio, Advertising Studio, Content Builder, and Contact Builder within Salesforce Marketing Cloud. The tool helps in creating and managing a range of responsive and automated campaigns, including welcome, promotional, re-engagement and customer retention campaigns.
The Journey Builder tool lets you create and track different types of customer journeys in Salesforce Marketing Cloud from a unified workspace. These journey types include:
Single Send journeys: Marketers can automate a single batch message to a target audience. Single Send journeys enable you to create and manage one-touch customer journeys within the workspace.
Multi-Step journeys: Marketers can automate responsive, customised series of customer interactions. These journeys can include multiple channels and customised journey paths based on customer interactions or attributes.
Transactional journeys: Marketers can send personalised messages in response to a specific action taken by the customer. Transactional journeys enable you to create and manage transactional API messages in the same Journey Builder workspace used to manage Single Send and Multi-Step journeys.
Using Salesforce Einstein AI integration, you can send targeted campaigns at the right time and monitor message engagement metrics all within Journey Builder.
Tips to get the most out of Journey Builder
- Keep journeys distinct and focused on a single marketing objective, like welcoming new customers or thanking volunteers for signing up.
- Outline your journey and plan your data and content needs before you create the journey in Journey Builder.
- Start small and build on success such as expanding from a single triggered email or message into a short series. Use the simple journey to test your approach and gather baseline metrics before you add complexity.
- It’s not just the length of the journey or time between activities, but also how you time each activity. Set your data updates and automations to avoid conflicts between activities.
- Use templates, which are pre-defined journeys created by Salesforce or other users. You can use them as-is or customise them to meet your use case.
- Use the Pause and Resume features to temporarily halt sending messages for business reasons or to update content included in a journey.
Click here to learn how you can build your campaign from scratch using Journey Builder.